The iPhone 13 Pro Max has been around for a while, but if it’s due for an update soon, is this the phone you should be looking at? It’s Apple’s most powerful model, has the best camera module (including Apple’s LiDAR sensor), the biggest screen, and the biggest battery. It’s the iPhone 13 Pro, just bigger and better in almost every way.
The iPhone 13 Pro Max is also Apple’s most expensive model. It’s the one you get if you want the biggest and best screen, the best camera, and the best overall battery life. The Pro model is much the same, it has the same camera system, but it has a smaller screen and a smaller battery, and a smaller battery means shorter battery life, not by much, but it shows.
Apple might have had trouble differentiating its Pro models from its standard models at first, but with the iPhone 13 series, the difference between the standard iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro Max is significant, as you can see below. All the big differences relate to the camera module, with the Pro you get the best possible performance and things like Apple’s LiDAR sensor.
iPhone 13 update list
- The iPhone 13 receives progressive updates from the iPhone 12 Pro; it’s now powered by the same 12-megapixel lens with an f/1.6 aperture as the 2020 iPhone 12 Pro. The iPhone 13’s new ultra-wide camera also has a faster f/2.4 lens and a 120-degree field of view, as well as sensor-shift stabilization technology.
- All iPhone 13 models feature cinematic mode; This technology will automatically change focus in real-time, making all phones in range better at shooting video. Apple used a parody of Knives Out to demonstrate how Cinematic Mode works.
- The iPhone 13 range features a smaller notch. The iPhone 13 notch is 20% smaller than before.
- The iPhone 13 has a better 5G performance than the iPhone 12. The iPhone 13’s connection to 5G networks is faster, according to Apple, and will support more than 200 carriers in more than 60 countries by the end of 2021.
- The iPhone 13 features Apple’s new A15 CPU. Apple says that the new A15 chipset, while still a 5nm SoC, is 50% faster than its closest competitor (the Snapdragon 888), although these claims are yet to be proven.
- The A15 chipset features two new high-performance cores and four new high-efficiency cores.
List of iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone Pro Max updates
- All Apple iPhone 13 Pro models feature new 120Hz Super Retina XDR displays with enhanced brightness (up to 1,000 nits).
- The iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max are available in the following colours: graphite, gold, silver, and a new light blue.
- All three cameras have been upgraded within the iPhone 13 Pro line; It has better low-light performance, thanks to larger sensors, a wider aperture for the ultra-wide lens, and a 3x zoom for the telephoto lens. Night mode is now also supported for all three lenses.
- The 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max now feature a new macro lens that will allow you to shoot objects just 2km away. All Apple Pro models now feature sensor-shift optical image stabilization.
- Pro models also get Cinematic mode, but will also benefit from Apple’s new ProRes technology. You can shoot in 4K at up to 30fps with the iPhone 13 Pro models, and with ProRes, a higher-quality video format, you can edit in more detail after the footage has been shot.
- All iPhone 13 Pro models get an additional tier of storage, 1TB; this is probably due to the use of ProRes.
- Apple has improved the battery life of the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro; iPhone 13 Pro will last 1.5 hours longer than iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max will last 2.5 hours longer than iPhone 12 Pro Max.