Although we still have some more updates to iOS 16 pending, something that is also very important, iOS 17 has already been officially presented. This is the next big update for the iPhone, although it will still take a couple of months to arrive.
And it is that, despite having been presented at Apple’s WWDC 2023, iOS 17 still has to close development phases in beta. That is why not all users can install it yet. Below we tell you all the news that it incorporates, as well as other details.
Which iPhones are compatible with iOS 17?
This is one of the great unknowns of each year, although it is known that Apple grants an average of between 5 and 7 years of support to its terminals. See as an example that the iPhone 6s updated for 7 years before being left out of iOS 16. Although other cases such as the iPhone 7 have been left out at the same time with 6 years.
Now we know that the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X are left out after 6 years of updates since they were released back in 2017 with iOS 11 inside. The absence of a second-generation neural motor could be the cause.
Thus, we find this compatibility list:
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd gen.)
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (3rd gen.)
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
When will iOS 17 be released?
Its official presentation was on June 5, although there is no confirmed date for its launch beyond “autumn”. However, it is expected that this version will be released to all users in mid-September, coinciding with the launch of the new iPhone 15.
How can you install the iOS 17 beta?
What is already available from the same day of its presentation is the beta for developers. They are already in the third beta and its installation requires a developer Apple ID, although Apple opened the program so that anyone can register. All those who comply with this must have their account linked to the iPhone and follow these steps:
- Open? Settings? and go to?General? > ?Software update?
- Click on? Beta Updates?
- Check the ?iOS 17 Developer Beta. option.
- Press?Back? and wait for the iOS 17 Developer Beta to appear.
- Click on? Download and install.
For the public beta, we will still have to wait a few more weeks, since Apple confirmed that it will be launched in July as usual.
What’s new in iOS 17?
After the presentation, we were able to learn about the new features of iOS 17, concluding that * it is more of an evolution of iOS 17 than a revolution, something that on the other hand did not take us by surprise because it was already anticipated. Although we also have to say that, as always, it is possible that some of the announced news will not arrive immediately with the first version and that later they will. In the same way that they can announce other news later for intermediate versions.
- Improvements to AirDrop when it comes to sharing media files more easily and simply by tapping two iPhones together (or an iPhone with an iPad or Apple Watch). It also includes “NameDrop”, which is what the Cupertino company has called the ability to quickly share contact cards.
- New contact cards in which to configure a new screen for when we receive your calls, giving absolute prominence to the photo and being able to customize the text of the name.
- Changing the size of the time on the lock screen is a reality that adds to the customization options that we already saw with iOS 16.
- Interactive widgets, so that we can, for example, mark a task as completed or play a song from the main screen, thus cancelling the action that until now the widgets performed, which were purely informational and when pressed the app opened in full screen.
- Improvements in the keyboard make the autocorrect learn better from our use so as not to correct words that are written correctly, adding the end of our sentences through artificial intelligence to save us typing time, although being able to reverse it if the prediction is not correct.
- * Improved voice dictation making it increasingly easier to dictate messages or notes by voice so that the text is as faithful as possible. All this is processed from the iPhone itself without the need to connect to the Internet.